Stupid Lambs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Stupid Lambs

A friendly run forum for all things Twilight based on the best selling books by Stephenie Meyer

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Twilight Series haters???

Go down 
+4
areumylifenow
Amy
Backup_Bella
Edye
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Edye

Edye

Twilight Series haters??? Empty
PostSubject: Twilight Series haters???   Twilight Series haters??? EmptyMon Apr 07, 2008 4:21 pm

OK, so I was wearing my bracelet yesterday and this new choir member asked me about it. I told her it was a bracelet made in homage to the Twilight series....The conversation went something like this:

"I made this bracelet because I love the Twilight series. Have you read them?"
"OH MY GOSH! I read them but I would never let my daughter read them! I can't believe that they are selling this in Deseret Book
and Seagull Book! I don't care if she is an LDS author, the farther in the story it goes the more it encourages pre-marital
sex and I just don't think that is appropriate!"
"Hmm, that is an interesting viewpoint. I can definitely see sexual tension in the book, but I don't think she is
encouraging pre-marital sex.... "
"Oh, I just can't believe it! She is either in bed with one or in a sleepingbag with the other through the entire third book!
It is just horrible! Anyone who knows teenage boys know that you can't be in a bed with them and have nothing happen
that shouldn't! I refuse to allow my girls to read these books! I honestly don't know how SM is going to rectify this.....
I mean, I don't have any problem with the whole vampire thing, but it is seriously all about sex, sex, sex!"

At this point, I just nodded my head and said, "Ya know, I don't have teenage daughters at the moment. I will have to try to see
this through different eyes. Right now, I have to respectfully disagree with your assessment, but that is open for negotiation."

The matter was dropped then!

What do you all think??
Back to top Go down
Backup_Bella

Backup_Bella

PostSubject: Re: Twilight Series haters???   Twilight Series haters??? EmptyMon Apr 07, 2008 8:04 pm

*not trying to hate anyone*
But do you ever wonder if maybe people give out these opinions due to fear of their own lack of control or fear of sex??
That sounds terrible, But i don't think they encourage premarital sex and wonder if the opinion comes from some deep fear of sex itself?
Back to top Go down
Amy
Admin
Amy

PostSubject: Re: Twilight Series haters???   Twilight Series haters??? EmptyMon Apr 07, 2008 8:14 pm

Jelly I like your theory.

My theory is this crazy woman has a giant stick up her butt and probably hasn't given "it" up for several years and we should pray for her husband.

I think if anything it encourages teens to WAIT remember the hottest man on earth is making sure they wait until marriage HELLO!!!

But then that's just me.
Back to top Go down
Backup_Bella

Backup_Bella

PostSubject: Re: Twilight Series haters???   Twilight Series haters??? EmptyMon Apr 07, 2008 8:16 pm

I also wonder if she really thinks that her daughters are weak or all boys are Evil. I hope to teach my daughter to totally stand up for herself because i have never been good at it!
Back to top Go down
Amy
Admin
Amy

PostSubject: Re: Twilight Series haters???   Twilight Series haters??? EmptyMon Apr 07, 2008 8:21 pm

I feel the same way. I have told DH that if I teach my daughter anything in life it is to love herself and stand up for herself. I finally learned how to stand up for myself by the time I was in my early twenties but by then some of the damage had already been done. Issues, Issues.
Back to top Go down
Edye

Edye

PostSubject: Re: Twilight Series haters???   Twilight Series haters??? EmptyMon Apr 07, 2008 10:29 pm

OK So I agree with all of ya. I thought she was seriously wacked....
Back to top Go down
areumylifenow

areumylifenow

PostSubject: Re: Twilight Series haters???   Twilight Series haters??? EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 4:11 pm

Amy wrote:

My theory is this crazy woman has a giant stick up her butt and probably hasn't given "it" up for several years and we should pray for her husband.

I think if anything it encourages teens to WAIT remember the hottest man on earth is making sure they wait until marriage HELLO!!!

But then that's just me.

*trying to pull myself up off the floor.....BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Laughing Laughing Laughing

...you're killing me here!

I think that this book is completely the opposite! Edward is always trying to keep our little Bella a virgin! He is very moral, and I don't have a problem with the themes of the book at all. I think they are definately for a more mature girl, I won't let my daughter who is 11 read Eclipse yet, (she read the other two) merely because I think the content is a little too intense for her age. I am very wary of age appropriate literature, and so we choose books they can understand...plus I know my kid and what would and wouldn't freak her out...Chapter 20 would freak her out. However, my neice who is 12 has read them all and was just fine with it...each parent has to make their own decisions based on their own kids.

HOWEVER! It is like I said before, if your children have a good foundation, & they know who they are, and why we are here, they can read any book and enjoy it for what it is. I let my kids read Harry Potter and didn't expect them to all want to join a coven, and become wizards and witches! Just like I believe that my girls will read Twilight and not run around looking for a vampire to date....

Wow, some people really don't have a very strong grounding in who they are, do they....very sad.....If I had so little trust in my child that I was afraid that her reading a book like Twilight would threaten her values and her virtue...what have I done wrong as a parent.....hmmmmmm *scratching head* scratch
Back to top Go down
Edye

Edye

PostSubject: Re: Twilight Series haters???   Twilight Series haters??? EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 4:42 pm

**** feeling TOTALLY validated! ****
Back to top Go down
areumylifenow

areumylifenow

PostSubject: Re: Twilight Series haters???   Twilight Series haters??? EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 7:02 pm

Anytime you need to feel validated, just give a holla back girl!!! Wink
Back to top Go down
Amy
Admin
Amy

PostSubject: Re: Twilight Series haters???   Twilight Series haters??? EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 7:09 pm

Thats right! Holla holla!! afro
Back to top Go down
Edye

Edye

PostSubject: Re: Twilight Series haters???   Twilight Series haters??? EmptyWed Apr 09, 2008 6:35 am

Amy wrote:
Thats right! Holla holla!! afro

afro = HYSTERICAL GIGGLING!
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Location : Bwahahaha.....fairly certain I could handle any cookies served up!!!! he he he!

PostSubject: Re: Twilight Series haters???   Twilight Series haters??? EmptyWed Apr 09, 2008 1:08 pm

Oh......my........HECK!!!!! Yah...whenever I hear weird things like this about the books (this is different...but I have a wonderful neighbor who will NOT read the books because she watched The Lost Boys??? when she was little and the books remind her of that---even though she only got like 100 pages into it and I ASSURED her that it is NOT dark at ALL---she will NOT give the books a chance and it seriously makes me so frustrated that I almost shake!!!--maybe a slight exaggeration...but seriously!!)

Anyway....I really just can't believe this! People are soooooo ridiculous sometimes! I actually plan on having each of my children read the series as they turn 12, 13, 14...somewhere around there depending on the child---an have mentioned this to Amy long before this post -----the reason being that I think the books can be very good tools leading into some pretty heavy, important conversation and teaching moments! My kids know LONG before age 12 about the birds and the bees, however, I think the books can definitely lead into topics that don't necessarily come up with you are having "the" discussion!!

It's just funny when people get something so incredibly OPPOSITE from the same book! I've talked to MANY people about what a FABULOUS job SM did of promoting the idea of waiting until you are married!!! I mean...seriously...you take this vampire that has no soul (supposedly) and because of the fact that he HAS killed people and therefor, should automatically be going to hell so most people would think why....WHY should he care about morals or really why worrying about doing anything RIGHT.....since in (fictional) reality he is basically just screwed no matter what he does....YET.....he will NOT have sex and not only that but he will NOT ALLOW Bella.....to do it before being married ALL for the sake of MORALS......*scratching head so hard it's almost bleeding*----I'm sorry...I just don't see how that is encouraging premarital sex?? I really, REALLY don't get it?????????????????????????
Back to top Go down
https://stupidlambs.forumotion.com
areumylifenow

areumylifenow

PostSubject: Re: Twilight Series haters???   Twilight Series haters??? EmptyWed Apr 09, 2008 3:55 pm

This kind of censuring is very annoying. Most people that do this kind of thing with books have generally not read them, and that bugs me!

If you are going to voice an opinion, then do some research. When it comes to books, read them first...STUPID!... and then give your review of the material.

When you criticize anything without taking the time to do any research, or gather the facts to back you up, you just look ridiculous. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Edye

Edye

PostSubject: Re: Twilight Series haters???   Twilight Series haters??? EmptyWed Apr 09, 2008 4:43 pm

areumylifenow wrote:
This kind of censuring is very annoying. Most people that do this kind of thing with books have generally not read them, and that bugs me!

If you are going to voice an opinion, then do some research. When it comes to books, read them first...STUPID!... and then give your review of the material.

When you criticize anything without taking the time to do any research, or gather the facts to back you up, you just look ridiculous. Rolling Eyes

AMEN SISTA!
Back to top Go down
Amy
Admin
Amy

PostSubject: Re: Twilight Series haters???   Twilight Series haters??? EmptyWed Apr 09, 2008 5:04 pm

I'll give out a Holla for that Ruthie!
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Location : Bwahahaha.....fairly certain I could handle any cookies served up!!!! he he he!

PostSubject: Re: Twilight Series haters???   Twilight Series haters??? EmptyWed Apr 09, 2008 10:22 pm

Amy wrote:
I'll give out a Holla for that Ruthie!

I second (or 3rd or 4th) the holla AND the amen sista for Ruthie!!!
Back to top Go down
https://stupidlambs.forumotion.com
bite-me-edward

PostSubject: Re: Twilight Series haters???   Twilight Series haters??? EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 1:42 pm

I was taken aback by a lady in my ward who said that she hated Twilight, hated Bella, hated Edward....I was SHOCKED...how does one hate Edward??? Odd.

So I was talking to my husband about it, and he said that the people who hate the books lack passion in their lives. Perhaps your MoTab friend is one who fits that category??
Back to top Go down
Edye

Edye

PostSubject: Re: Twilight Series haters???   Twilight Series haters??? EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 4:44 pm

She definitely has passion in her life.... a passion for NO FUN! AND passion for OPEN MINDED THINKING!
Back to top Go down
bite-me-edward

PostSubject: Re: Twilight Series haters???   Twilight Series haters??? EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 5:01 pm

...and she clearly has passion for being LAME!
Back to top Go down
dawn33

dawn33

Location : Getting familiar with all the Dark Hunters...mmmm. :)

PostSubject: Re: Twilight Series haters???   Twilight Series haters??? EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 5:05 pm

Amy wrote:

But then that's just me.

Ya...what she said... Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/wendytwo
Edye

Edye

PostSubject: Re: Twilight Series haters???   Twilight Series haters??? EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 5:56 pm

dawn33 wrote:
Amy wrote:

But then that's just me.

Yep, more of what she said!
Back to top Go down
Amy
Admin
Amy

PostSubject: Re: Twilight Series haters???   Twilight Series haters??? EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 9:10 pm

Edye wrote:
dawn33 wrote:
Amy wrote:

But then that's just me.

Yep, more of what she said!

Halla,halla!!
Back to top Go down
shawn
Admin
shawn

PostSubject: Re: Twilight Series haters???   Twilight Series haters??? EmptyWed May 07, 2008 11:25 am

If she knew about the sleeping bag scene, it sounds like she read all 3 books. Why read past the first one if you don't like the story?

And, Edye, your response to the lady was much more polite than I would have been. Of course, I don't do small talk well, so I probably would have just said "that's too bad" when she said she didn't like the books, then walk away Twilight Series haters??? Bleh. My husband would have said, "I feel sorry for your daughter and husband." (Much to my mortification sometimes, he has no problem voicing his opinion.)

IMO, there is more sexual tension and influence in schools than these books. What kind of kid decides they want to have premarital sex by reading a book about a 110 year old vampire who is a virgin? I hope she doesn't read Vampire Academy and Frostbite (which I liked, but they are not as mild as I expect YA books to be).
Back to top Go down
Edye

Edye

PostSubject: Re: Twilight Series haters???   Twilight Series haters??? EmptyThu May 08, 2008 8:10 am

Ya know, ever since that conversation with that gal she has sort of avoided me. I don't mind in the least, but I think she looks at me like I am from some foreign planet or something. Ahh.... a very good planet that LIKES to read this stuff!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Twilight Series haters???   Twilight Series haters??? Empty

Back to top Go down

Twilight Series haters???
Page 1 of 1